- An opportunity to talk openly about your issues and gain a new perspective or outlook.
- Assistance in understanding and accepting feelings. Counselling is not a magic cure to fix or solve your problems, however, it will provide you with clarity and help you come to a resolution.
- Gain awareness of unconscious patterns of behaviour. Once you are aware of something, you have the capacity to make a conscious decision to choose different behaviours or responses.
- A respectful and safe environment. You can expect to be supported and accepted with no judgement.
- Assistance to identify and achieve your goals. The first session is to assess your needs, expectations and the number of sessions needed. The number of sessions can be reviewed at any time.
- Confidentiality – Tamika works to a strict code of ethics where everything discussed within the counselling session is strictly confidential unless there is clear evidence that you or someone else may be a risk. Please refer to the policies and guidelines section of the web site for further detailed information.
If Tamika feels your needs could be better met by another therapist or different modality, this will be discussed and a referral will be made to an appropriate professional
No, not at all. Tamika will not treat you as a sick person but as a person needing extra support in difficult times. Seeking out a counsellor does not indicate illness, however, there are some symptoms of an illness – such as depression, anxiety etc. – then counselling can be helpful.
No, in fact seeking out support is seen as showing great strength. Often you go through life giving support to others and denying your own needs. Needing support is a normal part of life and asking for it is the first step towards a new path. It is often assumed that you are strong if you don’t seek support, where in fact it is the complete opposite. Those who can admit to their difficulties are considered the strong ones.
Seeking out counselling can be life changing, however, it will not work unless you really want to heal and make positive changes in your life. Benefits of counselling will vary for each person as we are all individuals on our own personal journeys.